From: Jean-Christophe Bach <jc.bach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dropbox, cli, and all that
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 07:05:52
1 Hi,
2
3 * felix@×××××××.com <felix@×××××××.com> [24.09.2010. @21:11:46 -0700]:
4 > I have recently discovered Dropbox as an interesting thing to
5 > experiment with, not without its drawbacks, but interesting.
6 >
7 > I have it running on a work Mac laptop and an Android phone, and it is
8 > another interesting idea to put it on Linux. However, its downloads
9 > are for Fedora and Ubuntu, or a source file which requires Nautilus.
10 > Also, I don't want its daemon running constantly, altho that feature
11 > is part of what makes it interesting wth the laptop and phone.
12 >
13 > Searches bring up various pages, but nothing really promising, either
14 > old or rather convulated or still using Mautilus. One involves a
15 > python script which apparently runs the command over and over, each
16 > time creating one more fake lib to make up for the Fedora/Ubunto ones
17 > required. No thanks ... while an interesting hack, it's not my idea
18 > of a way to the future :-)
21 > So the question is ... does anyone have experience with Dropbox on
22 > gentoo? My system is ~amd64, running fvwm when necessary, neither KDE
23 > nor Gnome. I'd really like a command line program which I could run
24 > for manual syncing.
25
26 I'm using Dropox to synchronize few conf files and data between my
27 Gentoo boxes (desktops and server). I only use it in CLI, without
28 nautilus or something else (my server has no X server).
29 Since I do not want to let Dropbox having clear data, I encrypt
30 them with encFS. Lokk at these few links I used :
31 https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx (official page, the first
32 solution is for server install)
33 http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/TextBasedLinuxInstall (the
34 tutorial itself)
35 https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py (the CLI script)
36 http://pragmattica.wordpress.com/2009/05/10/encrypting-your-dropbox-seamlessly-and-automatically/
37 (an encFS+Dropbox tutorial, very useful)
38
39 Then I run .dropbox-dist/dropbox (or .dropbox-dist/dropboxd if I want it
40 as a daemon) when I want a synchronization. Run it without '&' and type
41 ctrl-C to stop it after sync, or write a simple start/stop script.
42
43 Regards,
44
45 JC