From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] MTRR and PAT
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:53:07
1 On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > Andrey Falko wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Try 2.6.24, I'm afraid that your video might be too new for 2.6.23.
5 >
6 > Well, I think you have misunderstood my question(s). I may have been unclear
7 > as to what I would like to achieve... My goal is to see if my MTRR settings
8 > are ok or not; well, even better would be if I could understand the settings
9 > so that I can make a judgement myself if it's ok or not.
10 >
11 > The video (X) works fine as it is (not counting the occasional artifact in
12 > 3D games).
13
14 Ahh I see. I don't know much about MTRR...all I know is that you can
15 adjust them via grub:
16 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
17 . You probably read this already:
18 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Type_Range_Registers
21 >> Here are my comments your config:
22 >>
23 >> -In General Setup: Try choosing SLAB allocator.
24 >
25 > Well, I tried to live on the "edge" a little, trying it out... ;-)
26 >
27 >> -Your Bus Options look good.
28 >> -I'm 80% sure that you are not supposed to have /dev/agpgart enabled
29 >> since you are using PCI-Express....I have a PCI-Express system and I
30 >> have it disabled. Actually, I don't have anything enabled under
31 >> "Graphic Support". Since you are using Radeon, I think you might need
32 >> to enable Direct Rendering Manager, then choose Radeon.
33 >
34 > I run fglrx (AMD/Atis binary blob) and the ebuild complains if I don't have
35 > certain options set. This may have changed but I've used the same config for
36 > a while now (since around 2.6.13-14) on older systems (with AGP). I'm
37 > planning to migrate to radeonhd (or maybe the r300) driver when it has 3D
38 > support and has stabilised somewhat.
39 >
40 Yeh, I have Nvidia cards, so I guess ATI is different.
41 > I think I've found some more info on what I'm after:
42 > http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7044,00.html
43 > (the system programming manual).
44 >
45 > Thanks for your time, Andrey!