From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] MTRR and PAT
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:29:21
1 Andrey Falko wrote:
2
3 > Ahh I see. I don't know much about MTRR...all I know is that you can
4 > adjust them via grub:
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
6
7 Hmm... I missed that one. Thanks.
8
9 My grub kernel command line (which I haven't given much thought to since
10 it's inception many years ago):
11 root=/dev/sda2 vga=804 video=vesafb:1280x1024-32@85,mtrr:3,ywrap
12
13 This should tell vesafb to set MTRR to use write-combining (for which
14 memory region, I don't know), but it doesn't work for me, for some
15 reason. All of my mem (under X) is set to write-back with the exception
16 of 1Mb set to uncacheable. My other computer has even stranger settings
17 and the kernel log complains about MTRR settings not correctly setup (it
18 states that the BIOS probably doesn't init's both cores).
19
20 > . You probably read this already:
21 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Type_Range_Registers
22
23 Yep. Here's a few more if you (or anyone else) find this interesting:
24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write-combining
25 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache
26
27 Basically the MTRR (and PAT) determines how the processor (and it's
28 cache(s)) accesses the memory regions (in the MTRR). Xorg supposedly
29 should set up the MTRR when it starts.
30
31 > Yeh, I have Nvidia cards, so I guess ATI is different.
32
33 Perhaps.
34
35 Thanks again! It's always good to weather one's thoughts on a subject...
36
37 This just got me thinking. I'll investigate what the MTRR settings look
38 like before the display manager starts...
39
40 Best regards
41
42 Peter K