From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 23:41:50
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 12:10 PM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk
5 > <mailto:antlists@××××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
6 > <SNIP>
7 > > Do you want the system layered, with each layer doing one job? Use
8 > > dm-integrity to protect against corruption, raid to join the disks, lvm
9 > > to partition them, and ext to manage the directories and files.
10 > >
11 > > I do the latter ...
12 >
13 > No argument there, at least on a group of drives where you
14 > want to have flexibility in the future. Desktop computers or
15 > system drives certainly. You didn't tell me what replaces
16 > the compression aspect of the problem but I'm sure there's
17 > something. It's a great strategy if you have the expertise and
18 > time to set it up and then manage it when a problem arises,
19 > if it ever arises.
20 >
21 > I'm just asking what's the purpose of doing LVM, or your
22 > suggested layering, specifically on a storage pool for a
23 > home user like Dale? That's the part I don't understand,
24 > especially for a new NAS user like Dale?
25 >
26 > Mark
31 My reasoning is simple, I'm already familiar with LVM and how to manage
32 it.  While I swap drives on my Gentoo rig pretty regular lately, I don't
33 want to be limited from doing that on a NAS either.  If for example I
34 want to replace a 10TB drive with a 16TB drive, LVM makes that easy and
35 I know how to do it already.  With ZFS tho, is that even doable and if
36 it is, do I want to learn to do it with a new tool?  From what I've
37 seen, I'm not even sure you can do that.  It seems you can expand by
38 adding a drive but not replace or shrink.
39
40 As a example.  I went back to a basic pool of two drives.  I then
41 recreated a dataset, or whatever it is called, and added for it to be
42 encrypted.  Since I did that, I get write errors.  I can mount it just
43 fine but that's it.  I have no idea what the cause is, google isn't
44 helping and to be honest, I'm thinking about target practice for the
45 thing.  It took me a good long while to set up the most basic thing.
46 Adding encryption shouldn't be hard but apparently, it is more difficult
47 than I thought.  That or its so secure even I can't use it even with the
48 password.  lol
49
50 This is what I like about LVM and cryptsetup.  I create a partition, or
51 use a whole drive, as needed.  I use cryptsetup to start the process
52 with one drive.  I then put ext4 on top of that.  Then I add a second
53 drive to that pv, add that to the volume group, extend the file system,
54 all done.  And it is encrypted as well.  If I need to move from one
55 drive to say a larger drive, no problem.  Add drive, move data, remove
56 old drive, extend file system if needed, all done.  I have notes but
57 I've done it a lot recently and have the general idea still glued to the
58 back of my head.  ;-)  Thing is, ZFS isn't making sense to me so I'm
59 clueless where to start when something goes wrong or even getting it to
60 work period.  I may try watching a video on ZFS and see if that helps.
61 Maybe it will, maybe I'll still prefer LVM.  After all, I'm a old dog.
62 New tricks ain't easy.  ROFL
63
64 If I bought a pre-made NAS, I'd just have to deal with it.  I'd keep
65 hammering until I got it to where I could backup my data.  If I build a
66 Raspberry thing, NAS software may not be my first choice.  Maybe, just
67 maybe, my light bulb will pop on and I can make sense of TrueNAS and
68 ZFS.  If so, fine.  Right now, it's a lot of work with really no gain.
69 I'm not able to backup my data yet.  It's a brick, time consuming and
70 confusing brick at that.
71
72 After supper, I'm rebooting and see if I can beat some sense into
73 again.  Seriously considering using dd and starting over from scratch.
74 I can't figure out how to do that with the GUI thing.  No delete button,
75 that I can find anyway.
76
77 Dale
78