From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 14:05:01
1 On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > My reasoning is simple, I'm already familiar with LVM and how to manage
5 it.
6 <SNIP>
7
8 Take the machine, wipe it and build a NAS from scratch with Gentoo. If all
9 you want is an NFS mount that won't be difficult. Add an NFS server, export
10 your mount and you're done, right? Managing it over the long term will be
11 far more work than TrueNAS but you will be comfortable with changing disks
12 and adding network cards which is important to you. Life is too short to
13 deal with things you really don't enjoy.
14
15 I would not suggest you look at Ubuntu Server because it's NGL. 10 minutes
16 to install, 3 minutes to figure out how to add the NFS server. However it's
17 a different package manager and truly not as nice as emerge/portage so you
18 probably won't like that part of NGL either. I truly don't like apt, but it
19 works if I stay in my lane so I've learned to do that, the advantage being
20 I've never had to build a package from scratch and I've never in 5 or 6
21 years had an update fail.
22
23 Wipe the machine. You'll be happier.
24