From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 15:12:46
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > <SNIP>
7 > >
8 > > My reasoning is simple, I'm already familiar with LVM and how to
9 > manage it.
10 > <SNIP>
11 >
12 > Take the machine, wipe it and build a NAS from scratch with Gentoo. If
13 > all you want is an NFS mount that won't be difficult. Add an NFS
14 > server, export your mount and you're done, right? Managing it over the
15 > long term will be far more work than TrueNAS but you will be
16 > comfortable with changing disks and adding network cards which
17 > is important to you. Life is too short to deal with things you really
18 > don't enjoy.
19 >
20 > I would not suggest you look at Ubuntu Server because it's NGL. 10
21 > minutes to install, 3 minutes to figure out how to add the NFS server.
22 > However it's a different package manager and truly not as nice as
23 > emerge/portage so you probably won't like that part of NGL either. I
24 > truly don't like apt, but it works if I stay in my lane so I've
25 > learned to do that, the advantage being I've never had to build a
26 > package from scratch and I've never in 5 or 6 years had an update fail.
27 >
28 > Wipe the machine. You'll be happier.
29 >
30 > Best wishes,
31 > Mark
34 Well, I finally got it so I could do a backup.  I didn't need a hammer
35 but the thought crossed my mind.  lol  Even tho I now have a 1GB network
36 card, it's still really slow.  It shows up as a 1GB connection on both
37 my Gentoo machine and the NAS machine.  This is a example of the speeds
38 I'm seeing.  Just snippets.
41 277,193,507 100%   16.18MB/s    0:00:16
42 519,216,571 100%   18.86MB/s    0:00:26
43 738,078,565 100%   23.54MB/s    0:00:29
46 As you can see, the files sizes are large enough it should do better.
47 When I use iftop, it shows it isn't doing anywhere near the speed it
48 should, maybe 1/4th or so.  I'd expect at least double or triple that
49 speed.  In all honesty, I'd think the hard drive would be the limiting
50 factor.  Even on my Gentoo rig I only get about 50 to 60MBs/sec for
51 encrypted drives.  I think the encryption slows that down.  When copying
52 from a plain drive to a plain drive, I get 100MBs/sec or so.
53
54 I can't figure out why it is so slow tho.  The NAS rig is a 4 core CPU
55 and 8GBs of memory.  It should have enough horsepower under the hood.
56 Maybe it is something I'm not aware of.  It is a older rig so maybe it
57 isn't SATA's fastest version, maybe even the original or something.  I
58 can't find anything in lspci or dmesg so not real sure where to look on
59 BSD.
60
61 Anyway, it's progress for now at least.  ;-)  At this rate, it'll be
62 done in about a week, maybe.  o_O
63
64 Dale
65