From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 15:28:01
1 On Sunday, 18 December 2022 15:12:37 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 > > <SNIP>
6 > >
7 > > > My reasoning is simple, I'm already familiar with LVM and how to
8 > >
9 > > manage it.
10 > > <SNIP>
11 > >
12 > > Take the machine, wipe it and build a NAS from scratch with Gentoo. If
13 > > all you want is an NFS mount that won't be difficult. Add an NFS
14 > > server, export your mount and you're done, right? Managing it over the
15 > > long term will be far more work than TrueNAS but you will be
16 > > comfortable with changing disks and adding network cards which
17 > > is important to you. Life is too short to deal with things you really
18 > > don't enjoy.
19 > >
20 > > I would not suggest you look at Ubuntu Server because it's NGL. 10
21 > > minutes to install, 3 minutes to figure out how to add the NFS server.
22 > > However it's a different package manager and truly not as nice as
23 > > emerge/portage so you probably won't like that part of NGL either. I
24 > > truly don't like apt, but it works if I stay in my lane so I've
25 > > learned to do that, the advantage being I've never had to build a
26 > > package from scratch and I've never in 5 or 6 years had an update fail.
27 > >
28 > > Wipe the machine. You'll be happier.
29 > >
30 > > Best wishes,
31 > > Mark
32 >
33 > Well, I finally got it so I could do a backup. I didn't need a hammer
34 > but the thought crossed my mind. lol Even tho I now have a 1GB network
35 > card, it's still really slow. It shows up as a 1GB connection on both
36 > my Gentoo machine and the NAS machine. This is a example of the speeds
37 > I'm seeing. Just snippets.
40 > 277,193,507 100% 16.18MB/s 0:00:16
41 > 519,216,571 100% 18.86MB/s 0:00:26
42 > 738,078,565 100% 23.54MB/s 0:00:29
45 > As you can see, the files sizes are large enough it should do better.
46 > When I use iftop, it shows it isn't doing anywhere near the speed it
47 > should, maybe 1/4th or so. I'd expect at least double or triple that
48 > speed. In all honesty, I'd think the hard drive would be the limiting
49 > factor. Even on my Gentoo rig I only get about 50 to 60MBs/sec for
50 > encrypted drives. I think the encryption slows that down. When copying
51 > from a plain drive to a plain drive, I get 100MBs/sec or so.
52 >
53 > I can't figure out why it is so slow tho. The NAS rig is a 4 core CPU
54 > and 8GBs of memory. It should have enough horsepower under the hood.
55 > Maybe it is something I'm not aware of. It is a older rig so maybe it
56 > isn't SATA's fastest version, maybe even the original or something. I
57 > can't find anything in lspci or dmesg so not real sure where to look on
58 > BSD.
59 >
60 > Anyway, it's progress for now at least. ;-) At this rate, it'll be
61 > done in about a week, maybe. o_O
62 >
63 > Dale
64 >
66
67 Has it auto-negotiated a full-duplex connection at 1Gbps? Run ifconfig and
68 check the output, it should say something like:
69
70 media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
71
72 If not, then you may need to set this up manually.