From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 15:30:25
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 8:13 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, I finally got it so I could do a backup. I didn't need a hammer
4 but the thought crossed my mind. lol Even tho I now have a 1GB network
5 card, it's still really slow. It shows up as a 1GB connection on both my
6 Gentoo machine and the NAS machine. This is a example of the speeds I'm
7 seeing. Just snippets.
10 > 277,193,507 100% 16.18MB/s 0:00:16
11 > 519,216,571 100% 18.86MB/s 0:00:26
12 > 738,078,565 100% 23.54MB/s 0:00:29
15 > As you can see, the files sizes are large enough it should do better.
16 When I use iftop, it shows it isn't doing anywhere near the speed it
17 should, maybe 1/4th or so. I'd expect at least double or triple that
18 speed. In all honesty, I'd think the hard drive would be the limiting
19 factor. Even on my Gentoo rig I only get about 50 to 60MBs/sec for
20 encrypted drives. I think the encryption slows that down. When copying
21 from a plain drive to a plain drive, I get 100MBs/sec or so.
22 >
23 > I can't figure out why it is so slow tho. The NAS rig is a 4 core CPU
24 and 8GBs of memory. It should have enough horsepower under the hood.
25 Maybe it is something I'm not aware of. It is a older rig so maybe it
26 isn't SATA's fastest version, maybe even the original or something. I
27 can't find anything in lspci or dmesg so not real sure where to look on
28 BSD.
29 >
30 > Anyway, it's progress for now at least. ;-) At this rate, it'll be done
31 in about a week, maybe. o_O
32 >
33 > Dale
36 To what end Dale? Aren't you painting yourself into a corner with a system
37 you don't really want to run? Wipe the machine and start over from scratch
38 with Gentoo.
39
40 From my vantage point you don't provide enough information for me to make
41 an educated guess.
42
43 1) Is your data coming off the host machine able to transfer to other
44 machines at 1Gb/S type speeds?
45
46 2) Can data coming off of your NAS transfer to other machines at 1G/S type
47 speeds?
48
49 3) How are the two machines connected? If they are going through a router
50 or hub, do you know that hub doesn't limit throughput?
51
52 4) Is anything else happening on the network? Video flowing around while
53 people are watching TV or something?
54
55 5) CPU horsepower isn't the only potential bottleneck. Are your disks in
56 the NAS operating slowly? Are you running out of memory?
57
58 Have you considered running something like iperf?
59
60 Mark