From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New openssh install message?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:04:58
1 On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:23:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> >>    Has anything changed about this? I'm updating a remote machine and
5 >> >> don't want to lose connectivity.
6 >> >
7 >> > Probably what the writer of that message meant is to update the
8 >> > config files with dispatch-conf and the like.  I don't know to what
9 >> > else "merge" could refer.
10 >>
11 >> Thanks. OK, so I did a restart and I can still ssh in so things seem OK.
12 >
13 > With a remote machine, I always restart SSH, leave the current shell open
14 > and open a new one from another terminal. The old session will continue
15 > to work when you shut down sshd, so if the new install is somehow broken,
16 > you still have the access you need to fix it.
19 Thanks Neil. That's exactly what I did, additionally logging in as a
20 different user that wasn't present before the restart.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Mark