From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:57:27
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > The bit where you use a LiveCD
7 Well, I'll leave the old disk in place for
8 now and just put ext4 on the new disk as
9 /usr/local2. That way I can move from system to
10 system and it is just going to house video
11 files of all sorts. If ext4 messes up,
12 I have the video archived elsewhere.
13 Reiser3 has work flawlessly for me, but,
14 I guess it is time to move on as I prepare
15 for btrfs, CEPH, postgresql9, and other distributed
16 technologies.
17
18 Trying to download the LiveCD from numerous
19 places around the net I can't seem to get
20 more that 100KB/s. The download failed last
21 night, so I've restarted it. Plenty of disk
22 space on my end. I ran speed tests to my ISP
23 and I get 5M(should be 15M) down and 2M (yipee!) up
24 to a local test server the ISP operates,
25 so that's not the bottleneck. From what I could tell, the net
26 had(ha) problems last night. Many of the mirror
27 I tested last night manually, did not respond for
28 quite a while and the latencies where all over
29 the place (60 -6000) and packet losses where 30-70%.
30 I could have been BrightHouse and their (MPLS)
31 issues, or elsewhere.....
32
33 Any good recommendations on on the Internet
34 Traffic status?
35
36 The net looks horrible here:
37
38 http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm
41 I sure wish mirrorselect, was somehow more
42 dynamic, meaning the download could switch
43 mid-process, to another source, if there was
44 a 50% or so faster download link available.
45 You know some sort of state table maintained
46 on link speeds to my top 12 mirrors close to
47 my net (fastest throughputs). (urely I dream.....)
48
49 as this download will take 6+ hours (at 120KB/s)...
50
51 thanks to all for the suggestions,
52
53 James