From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:35:19
1 On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 09:28:32 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > I notice that no-one has mentioned WordPress. I had a look at it, but was
3 > scared off by the Gentoo devs' waving around of garlic and crosses.
4
5 Drupal 8, which is the current version under active development, requires
6 updating the core installation once every couple of months on average. You
7 may need to also update the odd drupal module every couple of weeks.
8
9 Wordpress core also requires updating every 2-3 months, but Wordpress modules
10 require updating on a weekly basis.
11
12 Of course the above is a generalisation and 'your mileage may differ'
13 depending on the amount of modules you install to provide the desired
14 functionality on your website. In my experience Wordpress has a higher
15 workload to keep going without getting hacked. The Gentoo devs are waving
16 around garlic and crosses for good reasons. Wordpress has a bad reputation
17 for being easily hacked, but this may also be because a lot of Wordpress users
18 install and forget with the inevitable dire consequences.
19
20 In either case it is best you register with necessary mailing lists to receive
21 security announcements and run immediate updates, or apply workarounds, when a
22 vulnerability is revealed. With script kiddies and state actors at it, it
23 doesn't take long before you lose control of your installation these days.
24
25 However, for websites which are to be maintained by non-technical users I
26 would recommend one of many ready made solutions provided by web hosting ISPs
27 like https://www.weebly.com.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick