From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 08:28:43
1 On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 21:26:04 Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 03/25/2017 09:13 AM, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 11:13:36 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > >> On 03/25/2017 10:48 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > >>> I'm setting up a new little box to be a web development server, to
6 > >>> develop a new website for my choir. I have it running with the old
7 > >>> site, hand-crafted from HTML and CSS, but after installing joomla
8 > >>> into the new site and on attempting to open index.php to configure
9 > >>> it, as instructed, I get this in
10 > >>> /var/log/apache2/error_log:
11 --->8
12 > >> Joomla 3.4.x is not compatible with php-7.x:
13 > >> https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements#footnote-3xPHP
14
15 Ah. I missed that - thanks. I hadn't properly noticed that PHP had moved on
16 to version 7 since I last played with Joomla.
17
18 > >> You'll need Joomla 3.5 at least.
19 > >>
20 > >> Or if you want some unsolicited advice and you're not picky about the
21 > >> CMS: avoid Joomla. The user interface is incomprehensible, updates
22 > >> require manual intervention, extensions are hard to write, and there's
23 > >> a culture of paid support for things that should just work.
24
25 That explains my blank expression when confronted with that terrifying blank
26 page. :-)
27
28 > > Your error is due to Joomla, not apache. I also recommend you give
29 > > Joomla a wide berth and use Drupal instead, or select a responsive
30 > > design static template from the interwebs. There are a few free
31 > > templates around which will do a fine job for a simple website.
32
33 OK. I'm installing Drupal now. I only chose Joomla after a good deal of
34 searching the web for recommendations - at least some of which ought to have
35 agreed with you two gents' opinion.
36
37 > If I may piggyback on the recommendations:
38 >
39 > Pelican (powered by Python) is a very powerful static site generator,
40 > and deployment is basically whatever you want it to be. Pages are
41 > basically plaintext (markdown or asciidoc by default iirc) and the theme
42 > (template + CSS) is completely separate from the content. It supports
43 > translation with standard gettext, too. I use it to power my personal
44 > site. I write posts, commit and push remotely, and use a post-commit
45 > hook to rsync the generated HTML into the webroot. If that sounds cool,
46 > check it out. [1] It might meet your needs.
47
48 Pelican looks interesting; I may follow it up. I didn't say this before (one
49 thing at a time, eh?) but I need to build a site that another choirman can
50 take over from me at some time. That seems to rule out anything that smacks
51 of script writing, because as far as I know, nobody else has the slightest
52 interest in computers, never mind programming.
53
54 I notice that no-one has mentioned WordPress. I had a look at it, but was
55 scared off by the Gentoo devs' waving around of garlic and crosses.
56
57 > If you must go PHP, you might want to take a look at the PHP-FIG[2]
58 > (Framework Interoperability Group). I can't say I'm 100% in favor of
59 > their decisions, but their work has led to some standardization in the
60 > PHP world and you might find more modern tools through them.
61
62 Another helpful idea.
63
64 > Best of luck with your site, Peter!
65
66 Thank you all for your advice. I'm grateful.
69 Regards
70 Peter