From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 04:26:26
1 On 03/25/2017 09:13 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 11:13:36 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> On 03/25/2017 10:48 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> Hello list,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm setting up a new little box to be a web development server, to develop
7 >>> a new website for my choir. I have it running with the old site,
8 >>> hand-crafted from HTML and CSS, but after installing joomla into the new
9 >>> site and on attempting to open index.php to configure it, as instructed,
10 >>> I get this in
11 >>> /var/log/apache2/error_log:
12 >> Joomla 3.4.x is not compatible with php-7.x:
13 >>
14 >> https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements#footnote-3xPHP
15 >>
16 >> You'll need Joomla 3.5 at least.
17 >>
18 >> Or if you want some unsolicited advice and you're not picky about the
19 >> CMS: avoid Joomla. The user interface is incomprehensible, updates
20 >> require manual intervention, extensions are hard to write, and there's a
21 >> culture of paid support for things that should just work.
22 >
23 > +1
24 >
25 > Your error is due to Joomla, not apache. I also recommend you give Joomla a
26 > wide berth and use Drupal instead, or select a responsive design static
27 > template from the interwebs. There are a few free templates around which will
28 > do a fine job for a simple website.
29 >
30 If I may piggyback on the recommendations:
31
32 Pelican (powered by Python) is a very powerful static site generator,
33 and deployment is basically whatever you want it to be. Pages are
34 basically plaintext (markdown or asciidoc by default iirc) and the theme
35 (template + CSS) is completely separate from the content. It supports
36 translation with standard gettext, too. I use it to power my personal
37 site. I write posts, commit and push remotely, and use a post-commit
38 hook to rsync the generated HTML into the webroot. If that sounds cool,
39 check it out. [1] It might meet your needs.
40
41 If you must go PHP, you might want to take a look at the PHP-FIG[2]
42 (Framework Interoperability Group). I can't say I'm 100% in favor of
43 their decisions, but their work has led to some standardization in the
44 PHP world and you might find more modern tools through them.
45
46 Best of luck with your site, Peter!
47
48 [1]: https://getpelican.com
49 [2]: http://php-fig.org
50 --
51 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
52 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
53 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6