From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 16:13:30
1 On Saturday 25 Mar 2017 11:13:36 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 03/25/2017 10:48 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > I'm setting up a new little box to be a web development server, to develop
6 > > a new website for my choir. I have it running with the old site,
7 > > hand-crafted from HTML and CSS, but after installing joomla into the new
8 > > site and on attempting to open index.php to configure it, as instructed,
9 > > I get this in
10 > > /var/log/apache2/error_log:
11 > Joomla 3.4.x is not compatible with php-7.x:
12 >
13 > https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements#footnote-3xPHP
14 >
15 > You'll need Joomla 3.5 at least.
16 >
17 > Or if you want some unsolicited advice and you're not picky about the
18 > CMS: avoid Joomla. The user interface is incomprehensible, updates
19 > require manual intervention, extensions are hard to write, and there's a
20 > culture of paid support for things that should just work.
21
22 +1
23
24 Your error is due to Joomla, not apache. I also recommend you give Joomla a
25 wide berth and use Drupal instead, or select a responsive design static
26 template from the interwebs. There are a few free templates around which will
27 do a fine job for a simple website.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick