From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 13:45:25
1 On 03/26/2017 04:28 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > Pelican looks interesting; I may follow it up. I didn't say this before (one
4 > thing at a time, eh?) but I need to build a site that another choirman can
5 > take over from me at some time. That seems to rule out anything that smacks
6 > of script writing, because as far as I know, nobody else has the slightest
7 > interest in computers, never mind programming.
8 >
9 > I notice that no-one has mentioned WordPress. I had a look at it, but was
10 > scared off by the Gentoo devs' waving around of garlic and crosses.
13 Choosing a CMS is a textbook example of "pick your poison." We usually
14 go with either Wordpress or Drupal.
15
16 The design of Drupal is much better, technically. Every feature is part
17 of a "module" that you can turn off. The API is well-documented, and
18 it's easy to write new modules. A "content type" in Drupal is a thin
19 abstraction over a database table, and you can build pretty much
20 anything you want by creating the right content type and then creating a
21 "view" to display it how you want.
22
23 The end result can be nicer for end users; for example, you can give
24 them a button to create a new employee, or a newsletter, or a blog
25 entry... and each one of those content types will have separate fields
26 and a separate UI. The trade-off is that nothing works out-of-the-box in
27 Drupal, and it will take you two weeks to get all of that set up.
28
29 With Wordpress, you get a nice, clean, easy-to-use site in about five
30 minutes. If that site will work for you -- i.e. if all you need is
31 pages, menu items, a contact form, and whatever else you can get from
32 pre-existing plugins -- do that!
33
34 Wordpress is made for non-technical users but I don't mean that in a bad
35 way. I've been doing Wordpress updates on some sites for over five
36 years, and it's never crashed and made me stop what I was doing to fix
37 it. Plugin updates are similarly easy, but I can echo what Mick said:
38 you need to pay attention to the update notifications, and they come
39 frequently.
40
41 All CMSes have terrible security records, so the fact that Wordpress
42 gets hacked all the time shouldn't lead you to believe that another CMS
43 would fare any better. You can make any CMS a lot more secure in two
44 simple ways:
45
46 1. Always update ASAP.
47 2. Don't make your website writable by the anonymous web user.
48
49 The second one means that you will have to update over SSH, at least as
50 long as you maintain the site, but severely limits the damage that a
51 hacker can do with a tiny exploit.