From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 16:20:26
1 On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 09:45:09 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 03/26/2017 04:28 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Pelican looks interesting; I may follow it up. I didn't say this before
4 > > (one thing at a time, eh?) but I need to build a site that another
5 > > choirman can take over from me at some time. That seems to rule out
6 > > anything that smacks of script writing, because as far as I know,
7 > > nobody else has the slightest interest in computers, never mind
8 > > programming.
9 > >
10 > > I notice that no-one has mentioned WordPress. I had a look at it, but
11 > > was
12 > > scared off by the Gentoo devs' waving around of garlic and crosses.
13 >
14 > Choosing a CMS is a textbook example of "pick your poison." We usually
15 > go with either Wordpress or Drupal.
16 >
17 > The design of Drupal is much better, technically. Every feature is part
18 > of a "module" that you can turn off. The API is well-documented, and
19 > it's easy to write new modules. A "content type" in Drupal is a thin
20 > abstraction over a database table, and you can build pretty much
21 > anything you want by creating the right content type and then creating a
22 > "view" to display it how you want.
23 >
24 > The end result can be nicer for end users; for example, you can give
25 > them a button to create a new employee, or a newsletter, or a blog
26 > entry... and each one of those content types will have separate fields
27 > and a separate UI. The trade-off is that nothing works out-of-the-box in
28 > Drupal, and it will take you two weeks to get all of that set up.
29 >
30 > With Wordpress, you get a nice, clean, easy-to-use site in about five
31 > minutes. If that site will work for you -- i.e. if all you need is
32 > pages, menu items, a contact form, and whatever else you can get from
33 > pre-existing plugins -- do that!
34 >
35 > Wordpress is made for non-technical users but I don't mean that in a bad
36 > way. I've been doing Wordpress updates on some sites for over five
37 > years, and it's never crashed and made me stop what I was doing to fix
38 > it. Plugin updates are similarly easy, but I can echo what Mick said:
39 > you need to pay attention to the update notifications, and they come
40 > frequently.
41 >
42 > All CMSes have terrible security records, so the fact that Wordpress
43 > gets hacked all the time shouldn't lead you to believe that another CMS
44 > would fare any better. You can make any CMS a lot more secure in two
45 > simple ways:
46 >
47 > 1. Always update ASAP.
48 > 2. Don't make your website writable by the anonymous web user.
49 >
50 > The second one means that you will have to update over SSH, at least as
51 > long as you maintain the site, but severely limits the damage that a
52 > hacker can do with a tiny exploit.
53
54 Interesting. Another contributor, another opinion. :-)
55
56 I already have books on WordPress and Joomla, and I've just ordered one on
57 Drupal. Then I can take my time experimenting and comparing.
58
59 Thanks again to all. I'm certainly learning today.
62 Regards
63 Peter