From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:50:17
1 On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Chris Walters wrote:
4 > > This is a test. Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and expired
5 > key to
6 > > sign my messages, lately.
7 > >
8 > > Chris
9 > >
10 > I have a question now. I got a message from Paul Hartman and replied to
11 > it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply was too. My
12 > question is this. How do you make a email that only the sender and
13 > receiver can read? As a example. I'm talking to a Doctor or a lawyer
14 > and I don't want anyone but that person to see the email. How do I do
15 > that? Can that be done.
18 Yes, this occurs when the messages are actually encrypted. Both the sender
19 and receiver must generate a public and private key. The public key
20 is...public. Anyone and everyone can use it to encipher a message. However,
21 the private key should be..well, private. It is the key that
22 can decipher the message. Assuming the receiver keeps this key secret, all
23 messages that are encrypted with the public key will only be read by
24 him/her.
29 The message that I am repying to appears to be something, encypted
30 > maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the tool can read it.
31 > Am I correct?
34 I'm using gmail right now, so I can't verify, but the message was most
35 likely signed but not encrypted. By signing the message, Chris verified
36 that he actually sent it and it wasn't someone impersonating. (This all
37 hinges on the fact that you previously received his signature and trust
38 that it was authentic then)
42 > I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing. Ya'll know how I
43 > am. lol
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >