From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Tether a Google Nexus One?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 23:24:27
1 > I agree with Mark. Have you received the GB update? I know not all N1s have
2 > received it yet, so I apologize if my assumption is wrong and you're still
3 > running Froyo. But I have had the same experience as Mark (and I am running
4 > gentoo) where it is almost as plug-n-play as you can get. (Assuming you're
5 > running GB):
6 > 1) Plug in usb to phone and computer
7 > 2) Enable usb tethering in Wireless & network settings
8 > 3) Tethering & portable hotspot
9 > 4) USB tethering (check)
10 > As root:
11 > ---snip---
12 > ifconfig usb0 up
13 > dhcpcd usb0
14 > ---snip---
15 > I don't believe the tethering experience was much more difficult in Froyo,
16 > but I could be wrong about that.
17 > - Matt
18
19 Thanks guys, the wifi hotspot works great but I can't get USB
20 tethering to work. I don't seem to have the usb0 device, even after
21 enabling USB tethering in the settings:
22
23 # ifconfig /dev/usb0 up
24 /dev/usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
25
26 Any ideas? I'm on Android 2.3.3.
27
28 - Grant
31 >>> Does anyone know if a Google Nexus One cell phone can be USB tethered
32 >>> to a Gentoo system?  I use wvdial to accomplish this with other cell
33 >>> phones but I've read that the Nexus One doesn't work that way because
34 >>> it doesn't appear on the host system as a tty:
35 >>>
36 >>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?23,146509,147989
37 >>>
38 >>> There is a tethering option in the Nexus One settings but I can't
39 >>> figure out how to get my Gentoo laptop to use the tethered cell
40 >>> phone's internet connection.
41 >>>
42 >>> - Grant
43 >>>
44 >>
45 >> If your phone is anything like my phone (G2, Gingerbread) that has the
46 >> same option, you should be able to do the following (I did this on an Arch
47 >> system late last week, never tested on Gentoo but should work):
48 >> ifconfig usb0 up
49 >> dhcpcd usb0
50 >>
51 >> That should get you online.