From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] easy Gentoo tricks
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:37:25
1 Am Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:59:43 -0500
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:41:41PM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote
5 > >
6 > > Hah, I wonder if that's because the script was written before the x86
7 > > and x86_64 architectures were merged in the kernel :) . I remember
8 > > Heise reporting on that a few years back.
9 >
10 > Probably correct. The machine is approx 4 years old. It's also a
11 > 32-bit kernel, because back then...
12 >
13 > 1) Flash didn't work on 64-bit kernels without jumping through flaming hoops
14
15 This never bothered me *that* much. You needed, what, nspluginwrapper? I don't
16 remember much what my experience was like, I think it was merely annoying, but
17 it's been years.
18
19 Looking at my merge history, I used it from March 2007 (my first Gentoo/Sabayon
20 install) till December 2008. Then I see I had it installed again from June to
21 September 2010.
22
23 So first of all, it looks like I was using the netscape-flash alpha releases
24 that had 64 bit support (in tree since November 2008), and genlop verifies this.
25
26 What happened in 2010: Adobe didn't manage to deliver a 64 bit version of Flash
27 10.1. I see the merge and unmerge dates of nspluginwrapper coincide with
28 upgrading to adobe-flash 10.1 and then to 10.2, respectively.
29
30 But hey, it looks like Flash is going the way of the Dodo, so hooray!
31
32 > 2) Wine required either multilib support or straight 32-bit linux
33
34 My box is around 6 years old now (bought at the beginning of my studies with
35 my earnings from (semi-)compulsory military service). I still went with Gentoo
36 amd64, even though 64bit support was still... incomplete. I don't regret it,
37 either. Gentoos emul-linux-* packages tended to be complete enough for my
38 needs, and I could even work with my student edition of Matlab.
39
40 Of course, everybody has their own requirements to consider, and mine didn't
41 dictate a 32 bit OS.
42
43 > On a new machine today, I'd probably install 64-bits, unless there was
44 > some weird requirement for 32-bits. I don't push my machines that hard,
45 > and they generally last. I've mostly bought Dell desktops (including
46 > this one). The exception was was because Dell wasn't offering a machine
47 > with 8 gigs of RAM when I wanted it. The fact that the local guy also
48 > had a motherboard with a PS/2 keyboard connector was another plus. I
49 > have a couple of of IBM "clickety-clack" 104-keyboard specials that were
50 > being thrown out by my former employer a few years ago. I love them.
51 >
52 > I've bought a couple of ASUS notebooks as well.
53
54 Hell, my workplace installs 64 bit systems by default (and has been for a while
55 now). If that's not a sign... well, OK, it's a research institution, but
56 still ;) .
57
58 I only ever owned this one computer of mine, I could never afford a replacement
59 or a laptop (argh!), only upgrades every now and then, like recently buying
60 2x2GB RAM to replace my previous 4x512MB - and it's DDR2, so 3 times as
61 expensive as the same amount of DDR3 :( (well, in the store, at least: about 60
62 € vs. 20 €). I won't be buying more RAM without replacing my mainboard and CPU,
63 even though my current mainboard supports up to 8GB, but this upgrade was
64 definitely worth it.
67 Marc Joliet
68 --
69 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
70 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup