From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] easy Gentoo tricks
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:01:23
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:41:41PM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote
2 >
3 > Hah, I wonder if that's because the script was written before the x86
4 > and x86_64 architectures were merged in the kernel :) . I remember
5 > Heise reporting on that a few years back.
6
7 Probably correct. The machine is approx 4 years old. It's also a
8 32-bit kernel, because back then...
9
10 1) Flash didn't work on 64-bit kernels without jumping through flaming hoops
11
12 2) Wine required either multilib support or straight 32-bit linux
13
14 On a new machine today, I'd probably install 64-bits, unless there was
15 some weird requirement for 32-bits. I don't push my machines that hard,
16 and they generally last. I've mostly bought Dell desktops (including
17 this one). The exception was was because Dell wasn't offering a machine
18 with 8 gigs of RAM when I wanted it. The fact that the local guy also
19 had a motherboard with a PS/2 keyboard connector was another plus. I
20 have a couple of of IBM "clickety-clack" 104-keyboard specials that were
21 being thrown out by my former employer a few years ago. I love them.
22
23 I've bought a couple of ASUS notebooks as well.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>