From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:26:20
1 Martin Vaeth <martin <at> mvath.de> writes:
4 > > So instead of my spew of ascii information files, I'm now composing
5 > > 'man pages' mostly using txt2man.
6 >
7 > If you want to avoid learning *roff, there is also e.g. pod from perl
8 > which gives you simple basic markup functionality and can output in
9 > man page format (and other format).
10
11 Pod leaves me with too many choices. Can you narrow it down?
12
13 eix -3 pod returns nothing. An overlay perhaps?
16 > For other formats, there are also tools like docutils or texinfo.
17 > If you want something which should eventually be printed (on paper),
18 > I would strongly recommend to learn LaTeX to get professional results.
19
20 Wow. I have not use latex since decades ago. If I want to print a man
21 page, I just cat it a file and upload it into libreoffice for printing.
22
23 I still have a very old latex manual (version 2.09 by Leslie Lamport
24 of Digital Equipment corp). I wrote my masters thesis in Latex, much
25 to the University's chagrin......
26
27 eix latex returns too many choices. What is the best one(s) to install
28 to play iwth latex again? Why is this better can just using libreoffice
29 once the files are in man page format?
30
31 James