From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:49:10
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Pod leaves me with too many choices. Can you narrow it down?
4
5 pod (and pod2*) is part of perl. Very likely it is already installed.
6 man perlpod (or "perldoc pod::perlpod" if the former does not work
7 on your system).
8
9 > eix latex returns too many choices. What is the best one(s) to install
10 > to play iwth latex again?
11
12 Nowadays there is practically only texlive - everything else
13 are just various tools for it: emerge texlive
14 (which has enormous dependencies - be sure to
15 set in the USE-Flags what you really need)
16
17 > Why is this better can just using libreoffice
18 > once the files are in man page format?
19
20 I meant to write it in latex *instead* of man page format
21 if your main aim is a really professional print. All
22 general-purpose conversions from one format to another
23 loose something, in general. If your manpage is simple
24 enough, it probably does not matter, but the more complex
25 things you need (enumerations within enumerations, perhaps
26 with intermediate texts, footmarks - perhaps footmarks
27 within footmarks - perhaps even semi-graphical elements like
28 braces under texts, etc. pp) the less likely is that you
29 find a format which serves all your needs.
30 Funny: I just realize that there is a pod2latex converter
31 in the tree. However, keep in mind that pod is *very* poor
32 compared to latex...