From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:13:44
1 On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:10:15 -0700, walt wrote:
2
3 > > My deal was the lost compile time. If I had started it about 3 hours
4 > > earlier or the lights would have blinked a few hours later then not
5 > > so much would have been lost.
6 >
7 > That's when I use ebuild instead of starting the emerge from scratch.
8 > Let's say I'm emerging libreoffice and the machine goes down (shudder).
9 >
10 > After fixing the problem I would try the following:
11 > #cd /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/
12 > #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild install
13 >
14 > That should pick up where the previous emerge stopped, although the
15 > patches may be reapplied before continuing the compile/install phase.
16
17 It will also mean that any files corrupted by the unclean shutdown will be
18 used by the compile/install. This may mean it falls over later or it may
19 install broken software. In this case, restarting from scratch is the
20 safer option, it's not like it is using 6 hours of your time, only the
21 computers. Fixing problems is what uses your time.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 There's no place like ~