From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:21:30
1 On 07/10/2011 12:40 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:55:01 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>> My old rig was in the middle of a update and we just had a nasty
7 >>> little thunderstorm here. It was OOo of course. It was 7 hours
8 >>> into a 9 hour compile when the lights blinked.
9 >>>
10 >> It won't have reached the install stage, so the only filesystem
11 >> being written to would have been the one holding $PORTAGE_TMPDIR.
12 >> It would be advisable to restart the emerge though :)
17 > My deal was the lost compile time. If I had started it about 3 hours
18 > earlier or the lights would have blinked a few hours later then not
19 > so much would have been lost.
20
21 That's when I use ebuild instead of starting the emerge from scratch.
22 Let's say I'm emerging libreoffice and the machine goes down (shudder).
23
24 After fixing the problem I would try the following:
25 #cd /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/
26 #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild install
27
28 That should pick up where the previous emerge stopped, although the
29 patches may be reapplied before continuing the compile/install phase.
30
31 But, hold on. The "install" phase does only a temporary install in
32 the portage build directory, not the 'real' install in /usr.
33
34 That final step is very easy, though:
35
36 #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild qmerge
37
38 For more detail see man ebuild and search on 'qmerge'. Pretty nifty
39 for situations like yours. Never hurts to use fsck beforehand. even
40 if the journal was "recovered" during your first reboot after the
41 disaster.