From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:12:56
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 07/10/2011 12:40 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:55:01 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> My old rig was in the middle of a update and we just had a nasty
11 >>>> little thunderstorm here. It was OOo of course. It was 7 hours
12 >>>> into a 9 hour compile when the lights blinked.
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>> It won't have reached the install stage, so the only filesystem
16 >>> being written to would have been the one holding $PORTAGE_TMPDIR.
17 >>> It would be advisable to restart the emerge though :)
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >> My deal was the lost compile time. If I had started it about 3 hours
23 >> earlier or the lights would have blinked a few hours later then not
24 >> so much would have been lost.
25 >>
26 > That's when I use ebuild instead of starting the emerge from scratch.
27 > Let's say I'm emerging libreoffice and the machine goes down (shudder).
28 >
29 > After fixing the problem I would try the following:
30 > #cd /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/
31 > #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild install
32 >
33 > That should pick up where the previous emerge stopped, although the
34 > patches may be reapplied before continuing the compile/install phase.
35 >
36 > But, hold on. The "install" phase does only a temporary install in
37 > the portage build directory, not the 'real' install in /usr.
38 >
39 > That final step is very easy, though:
40 >
41 > #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild qmerge
42 >
43 > For more detail see man ebuild and search on 'qmerge'. Pretty nifty
44 > for situations like yours. Never hurts to use fsck beforehand. even
45 > if the journal was "recovered" during your first reboot after the
46 > disaster.
53 I just had to do some of that with KDE. Some things were still buggy in
54 the tree. It may work but I won't be needing the machine while it
55 compiles anyway. It's my spare rig. I learned not to let it go to long
56 between updates tho. Funny thing is, I was still trying to dodge storms
57 and update the last KDE. It wasn't even finished with it yet and there
58 is a new release of KDE.
59
60 I always boot, let it clean up a little then reboot again. If no errors
61 are found, I'm good to go. I've gotten pretty good at cleaning up after
62 a power fail or hard reset. Sort of had some experience here lately. :-(
63
64 Thanks.
65
66 Dale