From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:45:28
1 walt writes:
2
3 [interrupted emerges]
4
5 > That's when I use ebuild instead of starting the emerge from scratch.
6 > Let's say I'm emerging libreoffice and the machine goes down (shudder).
7 >
8 > After fixing the problem I would try the following:
9 > #cd /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/
10 > #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild install
11 >
12 > That should pick up where the previous emerge stopped, although the
13 > patches may be reapplied before continuing the compile/install phase.
14 >
15 > But, hold on. The "install" phase does only a temporary install in
16 > the portage build directory, not the 'real' install in /usr.
17 >
18 > That final step is very easy, though:
19 >
20 > #ebuild ./libreoffice-3.3.3.ebuild qmerge
21
22 I like to do this, too. But I use
23 FEATURES=keepwork emerge libreoffice
24 in cases where an emerge was aborted.
25
26 Although Neil may have a point when he says that an unclean shutdown could
27 have corrupted things. I was under the impression that with a journaling
28 file system this should be safe, but I do not know much bout this.
29
30 Remember to remove the $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage/<category>/<package>
31 directory afterwards, with FEATURES=keepwork stuff there is neither removed
32 before nor after emerging.
33
34 Wonko