From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting 64 bit Intel chips
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:08:13
1 On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Chris Brennan wrote:
2 > from what you pasted, you have a 32bit cpu. But you have a flag I do
3 > as well, and that is 'ht'. Hyper-Threading is a whole different beast
4 > I know very little about, it's more of an Intel thing for there first
5 > generation dual-core cpu's.
6
7 HT is an abomination that should not be suffered to live. It's Intel's
8 attempt to implement application level threading in silicon and it
9 simply does not work in practice.
10
11 I've yet to benchmark any reasonably complex app that runs better with
12 hyper-threading enabled. In fact when I still worked support at a
13 certain database vendor we simply refused to support any of our apps
14 running on machines where HT was enabled.
15
16 Note that it wasn't "you should not do this", it was "go away and phone
17 back when you have rebooted with sane kernel options" :-)
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list