From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting 64 bit Intel chips
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:50:51
1 well said ...
2
3 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Chris Brennan wrote:
5 >> from what you pasted, you have a 32bit cpu. But you have a flag I do
6 >> as well, and that is 'ht'. Hyper-Threading is a whole different beast
7 >> I know very little about, it's more of an Intel thing for there first
8 >> generation dual-core cpu's.
9 >
10 > HT is an abomination that should not be suffered to live. It's Intel's
11 > attempt to implement application level threading in silicon and it
12 > simply does not work in practice.
13 >
14 > I've yet to benchmark any reasonably complex app that runs better with
15 > hyper-threading enabled. In fact when I still worked support at a
16 > certain database vendor we simply refused to support any of our apps
17 > running on machines where HT was enabled.
18 >
19 > Note that it wasn't "you should not do this", it was "go away and phone
20 > back when you have rebooted with sane kernel options" :-)
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list