From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Top values don't add up
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:44:38
1 On Dienstag, 19. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 August 2008 15:30:07 Dale wrote:
3 > > Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
4 > > > << SNIP >>
5 > > >
6 > > > I'm running the machine for multi-media-use, and I would like to make
7 > > > sure that I tune the media-programs to leave sufficcient cpu to handle
8 > > > the odd house-keeping task, while at the same time doing as much
9 > > > post-processing for image and sound quality as possible. Is there a
10 > > > way to get top to make sense, or are there other tools you good people
11 > > > would recommend ?
12 > >
13 > > The only thing I can think of that may help is to use the nice command
14 > > to give some processes more or less priority. That may or may not help
15 > > you any but it is a thought.
16 > >
17 > > Otherwise, I tend to agree with Alan. Leave it to the kernel.
18 >
19 > I thought of one thing that might help - perhaps the media apps in question
20 > are single threaded and might benefit from a different preemption model
21 > algorithm. Give the old-fashioned server model a try instead of desktop or
22 > low-latency desktop. It's worth a try, YMMV
23
24 and voluntary preemption beats forced preemption.