From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Top values don't add up
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:46:43
1 On Tuesday 19 August 2008 15:30:07 Dale wrote:
2 > Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
3 > > << SNIP >>
4 > >
5 > > I'm running the machine for multi-media-use, and I would like to make
6 > > sure that I tune the media-programs to leave sufficcient cpu to handle
7 > > the odd house-keeping task, while at the same time doing as much
8 > > post-processing for image and sound quality as possible. Is there a
9 > > way to get top to make sense, or are there other tools you good people
10 > > would recommend ?
11 >
12 > The only thing I can think of that may help is to use the nice command
13 > to give some processes more or less priority. That may or may not help
14 > you any but it is a thought.
15 >
16 > Otherwise, I tend to agree with Alan. Leave it to the kernel.
17
18 I thought of one thing that might help - perhaps the media apps in question
19 are single threaded and might benefit from a different preemption model
20 algorithm. Give the old-fashioned server model a try instead of desktop or
21 low-latency desktop. It's worth a try, YMMV
22 --
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com