From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Top values don't add up
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:35:31
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 August 2008 15:30:07 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> << SNIP >>
7 >>>
8 >>> I'm running the machine for multi-media-use, and I would like to make
9 >>> sure that I tune the media-programs to leave sufficcient cpu to handle
10 >>> the odd house-keeping task, while at the same time doing as much
11 >>> post-processing for image and sound quality as possible. Is there a
12 >>> way to get top to make sense, or are there other tools you good people
13 >>> would recommend ?
14 >>>
15 >> The only thing I can think of that may help is to use the nice command
16 >> to give some processes more or less priority. That may or may not help
17 >> you any but it is a thought.
18 >>
19 >> Otherwise, I tend to agree with Alan. Leave it to the kernel.
22 > I thought of one thing that might help - perhaps the media apps in question
23 > are single threaded and might benefit from a different preemption model
24 > algorithm. Give the old-fashioned server model a try instead of desktop or
25 > low-latency desktop. It's worth a try, YMMV
28 When I say "tune" I mean things like picking a resolution and a
29 deinterlace method for video that is as good as possible, while still
30 leaving enough headroom to avoid uneven playback. Given that a schedule
31 update or a backup run might kick in at a bad time despite all efforts
32 to write a good crontab, knowing when to stop is not always easy. I run
33 all system tasks under "nice ionice -c3", and they will still cause
34 hiccups if the system is maxed out. Looks like the good old trial and
35 error is the only method that will work. Being on the bleeding edge,
36 that means erring on the side of caution, or else you never know whether
37 you have hit a system bottleneck or a bug in the software .... :-) .
38
39 mplayer kept saying my system was too slow, while the cpu was idling at
40 20%. Turns out top was correct in that instance, mplayer was
41 misinterpreting input data, trying to play back at half the intended
42 frame-rate. Now I'm past that hurdle and adding deinterlacing and other
43 filters. I'll just have to hold back on the temptation to go all out on
44 the filter options :-)
45
46 Thanks for keeping me from wasting any more time with top though.