From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Top values don't add up
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:25:22
1 On Tuesday 19 August 2008 18:35:18 Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2
3 > When I say "tune" I mean things like picking a resolution and a
4 > deinterlace method for video that is as good as possible, while still
5 > leaving enough headroom to avoid uneven playback.
6
7 Ah, that puts a different spin on it. Those things are outside my area of
8 expertise
9
10 > Given that a schedule
11 > update or a backup run might kick in at a bad time despite all efforts
12 > to write a good crontab, knowing when to stop is not always easy. I run
13 > all system tasks under "nice ionice -c3", and they will still cause
14 > hiccups if the system is maxed out.
15
16 nice, ionice and all other tools that look like they might affect scheduling
17 are actually just hints to the Linux kernel, which is free to completely
18 ignore them (and very often does). In fact, for a great many years in the
19 early days, nice actually did nothing of any consequence at all... :-)
20
21 nice exists because it is a long-standing Unix tool and on early Unixes it did
22 do what the man page implies. Things have changed and kernel writers realise
23 that.
24
25 re crons, there's not a lot you can do when vixie-cron decides to kick in.
26 However, there are other cron daemons about. I've never used it, but I recall
27 a discussion here a year ago about fcron which looks like it might suit your
28 needs. IIRC you can configure it to delay a cron job while a specified process
29 is running and all manner of other cool stuff suitable for desktops
30
31 > mplayer kept saying my system was too slow, while the cpu was idling at
32 > 20%. Turns out top was correct in that instance, mplayer was
33 > misinterpreting input data, trying to play back at half the intended
34 > frame-rate. Now I'm past that hurdle and adding deinterlacing and other
35 > filters. I'll just have to hold back on the temptation to go all out on
36 > the filter options :-)
37
38 I find mplayer often gets it wrong, and the console messages about audio
39 drivers being responsible for slowdowns are often true. I also usually find
40 that a slow machine that has a light load is often due to I/O blocking. Have
41 you looked into this yet?
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com