From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to save ps file from OpenOffice writer?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:30:16
1 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2
3 >Zac Medico wrote:
7 >>Zhang Weiwu wrote:
11 >>>after a few test it looks obvious OO on gentoo suffer from the samiliar
12 >>>problem as oo on Windows (sorry to mension Windows again). On my gentoo
13 >>>there is only one printer installed on cups that is a LaserJet. Later I
14 >>>discovered all PS files I provided are grayscale, and there is no
15 >>>possibility to switch to color. On one other gentoo computer the PS
16 >>>output is colorful thanks to the color printer installed.
17 >>>
18 >>>This is not perfect but nevertheless I managed to make PS files. I only
19 >>>need to take the ODT file to my another gentoo computer who has color
20 >>>printer and make the PS, this is much simpler then asking Windows user
21 >>>for help.
22 >>>
23 >>>Certainly I could share my color printer. Is there an even better
24 >>>(perfect) way?
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>You shouldn't need a physical printer attached in order to configure a
28 >>"dummy" postscript color printer driver for cups.
29 >>
30 >>Zac
34 >In the beging I am not sure of what port to use for my dummy printer,
35 >and there seems no "file" port like in Windows (kill me if you don't
36 >like to hear that word so much). Later I discovered I better install
37 >this package:
38 >cups-pdf
39 >
40 >This is a very interesting package: it provide a virtual printer that
41 >outputs PDF files. I think no other virtual printer is better then this
42 >one, because if you use it and "print-to-file" it seems to be generating
43 >standard PS file with good color at level 3, and if you do not use
44 >"print-to-file" it generate good PDF document. So it works both ways,
45 >helps in more situations then other PS printers. this is obviously my
46 >recommendation for a dummy printer (point me a better one if you know).
49 Just to mension, the PS generic drive used for cups-pdf can print up to
50 2400dpi.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list