From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to save ps file from OpenOffice writer?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:09:50
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
6 >> after a few test it looks obvious OO on gentoo suffer from the samiliar
7 >> problem as oo on Windows (sorry to mension Windows again). On my gentoo
8 >> there is only one printer installed on cups that is a LaserJet. Later I
9 >> discovered all PS files I provided are grayscale, and there is no
10 >> possibility to switch to color. On one other gentoo computer the PS
11 >> output is colorful thanks to the color printer installed.
12 >>
13 >> This is not perfect but nevertheless I managed to make PS files. I only
14 >> need to take the ODT file to my another gentoo computer who has color
15 >> printer and make the PS, this is much simpler then asking Windows user
16 >> for help.
17 >>
18 >> Certainly I could share my color printer. Is there an even better
19 >> (perfect) way?
22 > You shouldn't need a physical printer attached in order to configure a
23 > "dummy" postscript color printer driver for cups.
24 >
25 > Zac
26
27 In the beging I am not sure of what port to use for my dummy printer,
28 and there seems no "file" port like in Windows (kill me if you don't
29 like to hear that word so much). Later I discovered I better install
30 this package:
31 cups-pdf
32
33 This is a very interesting package: it provide a virtual printer that
34 outputs PDF files. I think no other virtual printer is better then this
35 one, because if you use it and "print-to-file" it seems to be generating
36 standard PS file with good color at level 3, and if you do not use
37 "print-to-file" it generate good PDF document. So it works both ways,
38 helps in more situations then other PS printers. this is obviously my
39 recommendation for a dummy printer (point me a better one if you know).
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list