From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it OK to get rid of app-alternatives/* ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 07:44:11
1 On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 08:57:48PM -0500, Michael Cook wrote
2 > On 2/14/23 20:47, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Am I missing something obvious that would cause problems?
5 > >
6 > You're missing a lot of manual busy work you would have to do
7 > maintaining a package.provided since packages depend on stuff in
8 > that category.
9
10 After thoroughly reading the docs at...
11 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-27-alternatives-introduction.html
12 it looks like the hand of him-who-must-not-be-named. Rather than
13 provide special support for the 1% extreme edge cases, the remaining 99%
14 of regular users will be dragged through the change. More bloat; and
15 eselect is on the road to eventual deprecation. With that in mind, I
16 don't really have any choice but to go along. I'll have to change my
17 sig to include something about a fully functional linux on a 16
18 *MEGA*byte machine running X (Yes, I actually was doing that back in
19 2000)... sigh.
22 I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
23 frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
24 pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
25 those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.