From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it OK to get rid of app-alternatives/* ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 08:12:05
1 On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 02:44:47 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > After thoroughly reading the docs at...
4 > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2022-12-27-alternatives-introduction.html
5 > it looks like the hand of him-who-must-not-be-named. Rather than
6 > provide special support for the 1% extreme edge cases, the remaining 99%
7 > of regular users will be dragged through the change. More bloat; and
8 > eselect is on the road to eventual deprecation.
9
10 "Systems will be more robust and desired system configuration
11 can be achieved using the package manager rather than manual steps
12 outside of it."
13
14 Sounds quite reasonable to me. As does being able to control everything
15 from within Portage, with USE flags, rather than messing around with
16 eselect.
17
18 If, as you say, it will eventually replace eselect, there is no more
19 bloat, just different bloat. It's still just a bunch of symlinks, but
20 managed differently.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Inland Revenue: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!