From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The war continues.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 03:09:32
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > Maybe I will try it again with KDE5. But this also depends on the
4 > > dependencies. :-) I'm not sure if I'm willing to install the
5 > > complete KDE environment for this test.
6 >
7 > KDE 5 is absolutely nothing like KDE3. So by all means try it, but
8 > evaluate it on it's own terms. It's not a better KDE3, it's a whole
9 > different DE
10
11 I've installed OpenSuse Tumbleweed in a VM and played a bit with
12 KDE5. Despite the fact, that the graphics of a KVM VM isn't really
13 fast enough for the fancy effects of KDE5, I'm really impressed.
14 Dolphin seems to be really usable and the many configuration options
15 are somewhat overwhelming after so many years of using only gtk
16 environments. :-)
17
18 The main thing that makes me hesitating is that the whole KDE5 stuff
19 is marked ~amd64. I'm running a mostly stable system and I don't
20 wanna keywording too much packages.
21
22 What I also don't want is too much crap that I don't need, e.g. a
23 networkmanger. Although I set USE="-networkmanager" portage wants to
24 install it when I type "emerge -pv plasma-meta".
25
26 I think, I should read some information before I try to install KDE5.
27
28 A (maybe silly) question: Is it possible to install KDE5 without
29 systemd? I'm still using openrc and I don't wanna change this atm.
32 Regards
33 wabe