From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new install for a new mainboard?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 15:49:16
1 On Thursday, December 10, 2020 4:23:09 PM CET n952162 wrote:
2 > I need a new mainboard. What will happen if I boot my existing system
3 > on it?
4 >
5 > If it would come up, what would need to be (re)emerged, as a minimum?
6 >
7 > TIA
8
9 Unless you really reduced the drivers available on your system or you're going
10 to a lesser system (64 -> 32bit, or something like that), I would expect the
11 system to simply boot.
12 If not, you only need a live-cd/usb/... and rebuild the kernel and any drivers
13 your new system needs.
14
15 It's not MS Windows that might try to load incompatible drivers and ends up
16 with a blue-screen.
17
18 Personally, however, I tend to use a new system as an excuse to clean up my
19 install and start from scratch. Especially as I always tend to pass my old
20 system on to a family member or friend.