From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new install for a new mainboard?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 22:25:07
1 On 2020-12-10, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thursday, December 10, 2020 4:23:09 PM CET n952162 wrote:
3 >> I need a new mainboard. What will happen if I boot my existing system
4 >> on it?
5 >>
6 >> If it would come up, what would need to be (re)emerged, as a minimum?
7 >>
8 >> TIA
9 >
10 > Unless you really reduced the drivers available on your system or
11 > you're going to a lesser system (64 -> 32bit, or something like
12 > that), I would expect the system to simply boot.
13
14 Many of us do "reduce the drivers availabing" to match just the
15 hardware in our system.
16
17 > If not, you only need a live-cd/usb/... and rebuild the kernel and
18 > any drivers your new system needs.
19
20 > It's not MS Windows that might try to load incompatible drivers and
21 > ends up with a blue-screen.
22
23 Well, the screen doesn't turn blue, but it's possible the kernel won't
24 even boot.
27 Grant