From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does ssh know to use "pinentry"?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 00:40:49
1 On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Why not do the obvious thing instead?
3 >
4 > Run keychain and have it unlock your keys *once* when the workstation
5 > boots up. ssh then always uses that key as it is unlocked.
6
7 Alan,
8
9 Thank you. FYI, I do not have a problem typing my password 100 times
10 per day. The only problem I have with "pinentry" is that it doesn't
11 let me paste. Does keychain allow me to paste? If so, I'll consider
12 it. However, now that I have killed pinentry from my system I am
13 happily pasting my passphrase into the ssh console.
14
15 On another note, from my OP, I am still curious how the ssh software
16 knows to use /usr/bin/pinentry to fetch my passphrase. In a follow-up
17 post, I discovered that this mechanism only works if an environment
18 variable called GPG_AGENT_INFO is set. I doubt the ssh source code
19 contains the string "/usr/bin/pinentry" or "GPG_AGENT_INFO".
20
21 Chris