From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does ssh know to use "pinentry"?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 00:45:59
1 On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On another note, from my OP, I am still curious how the ssh software
5 > knows to use /usr/bin/pinentry to fetch my passphrase. In a follow-up
6 > post, I discovered that this mechanism only works if an environment
7 > variable called GPG_AGENT_INFO is set. I doubt the ssh source code
8 > contains the string "/usr/bin/pinentry" or "GPG_AGENT_INFO".
9
10 GPG_AGENT_INFO tells ssh to use gpg-agent. ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
11 tells gpg-agent to use pinentry.
12
13 Rich