From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:44:18
1 On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > <major snippage>
10 > > Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. I reemerged udev, and
11 > noticed
12 > > that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work,
13 > I
14 > > should try emerging hal first. Leaving aside the non-effective language,
15 > I
16 > > tried that and although hal is installed, I can no longer build it.
17 > This
18 > > may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile
19 > > the latest wireshark either. Maybe something is hosed deep down. It may
20 > > be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last
21 > > time, and was a major PITA.
22 >
23 > I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread,
24 > but
25 > for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
26 > rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. On two machines of mine (x86)
27 > there
28 > was no problem. On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge
29 > -e
30 > world.
31 >
32 > I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it
33 said it was
34 fixing. Seems like my system should have been dead outright....
35
36 Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.
37
38 Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world (again).
41 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD