From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:41:45
1 On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
8 >> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
9 >> wrote:
10 >>
11 >> <major snippage>
14 >> > Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. I reemerged udev, and
15 >> noticed
16 >> > that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work,
17 >> I
18 >> > should try emerging hal first. Leaving aside the non-effective
19 >> language, I
20 >> > tried that and although hal is installed, I can no longer build it.
21 >> This
22 >> > may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't
23 >> compile
24 >> > the latest wireshark either. Maybe something is hosed deep down. It
25 >> may
26 >> > be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last
27 >> > time, and was a major PITA.
28 >>
29 >> I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread,
30 >> but
31 >> for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
32 >> rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. On two machines of mine (x86)
33 >> there
34 >> was no problem. On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge
35 >> -e
36 >> world.
37 >>
38 >> I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it
39 > said it was
40 > fixing. Seems like my system should have been dead outright....
41 >
42 > Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.
43 >
44 > Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world (again).
47 > Well, it was an interesting excercise, but I'm no closer to a runnable Xorg
48 (it won't start at all as long as I have
49 InputDevice "mouse"
50 in there. I think I'll start exploring the ideas around what happens when
51 you have Xorg -hal, as I do.
52
53 Actually, I did that, and problem SOLVED!.
54 --
55 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD