From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PII Hangs while booting.
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:51:02
1 Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
2 > I've got an old PII Intergraph TD-225 PC that I'm trying to install Gentoo
3 > onto. Bios is AMIBIOS. The system supports dual CPU but only has one.
4 >
5 > It currently has WinXP running on it fine. But every Linux install/boot CD
6 > I've run (Gentoo, CentOS, Knoppix, etc.) hangs while booting (2.4 and 2.6
7 > kernels).
8 >
9 > The last thing I see from the CentOS boot process is the following:
10 >
11 > Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
12 > SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
13 > Freeing SMP alternatives: 14k freed
14 > CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Klamath) stepping 03
17 > Then it just hangs. CD can pop out and everything. Can anyone give me any
18 > idea what's going wrong?
22 I looked at my dmesg and ACPI seems to come after that on mine. May
23 want to try to disable that until some one else has other ideas.
24
25 Hope that helps.
26
27 Dale