From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for googled the previous one to vmlinu-chrome users
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 00:55:50
1 On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 May 2015 23:29:40 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> make install does it exactly the way you are doing it, but faster and
5 >>> less prone to error.
6 >>
7 >> Hmm ... I may have used it the wrong way quite a few years ago, but it
8 >> would only keep two kernels at a time or something like that. That
9 >> made me carry on copying kernel files into boot manually. In this way
10 >> at least I know where I put them and what options I pass on to them.
11 >
12 > make install installs the kernel it just made. It doesn't, and can't,
13 > touch other kernels. The only change it makes to /boot beyond copying
14 > three files there is to adjust the symlinks if they are already present.
15 >
16 > I've never understood the approach of trusting the makefile to configure
17 > your kernel, compile it, compile any number of modules and install all
18 > those modules, but when it comes to copying one file to /boot, that has
19 > to be done manually because the makefile can't be trusted to get things
20 > right.
21
22 "/sbin/installkernel" renames the already-installed vmlinuz and
23 System.map if it's installing the same version of the kernel.