From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for googled the previous one to vmlinu-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 22:58:32
1 On Fri, 22 May 2015 23:29:40 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > make install does it exactly the way you are doing it, but faster and
4 > > less prone to error.
5 >
6 > Hmm ... I may have used it the wrong way quite a few years ago, but it
7 > would only keep two kernels at a time or something like that. That
8 > made me carry on copying kernel files into boot manually. In this way
9 > at least I know where I put them and what options I pass on to them.
10
11 make install installs the kernel it just made. It doesn't, and can't,
12 touch other kernels. The only change it makes to /boot beyond copying
13 three files there is to adjust the symlinks if they are already present.
14
15 I've never understood the approach of trusting the makefile to configure
16 your kernel, compile it, compile any number of modules and install all
17 those modules, but when it comes to copying one file to /boot, that has
18 to be done manually because the makefile can't be trusted to get things
19 right.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Microbiology: staph only.