From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:05:09
1 On 9/26/2014 1:04 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 25/09/14 22:03, James wrote:
3 >> I'd be better of with a fresh install of lilblue + musl + eudev
4 >> is what you are really saying here?
5
6 > that's the only usecase for eudev currently, yes, otherwise you have no
7 > reason to switch
8
9 Hi Samuli,
10
11 So, is the above still true?
12
13 eudev is looking more attractive every day... but can it continue to
14 work and be supported if Lennart gets his way and upstream udev stops
15 working without systemd?
16
17 Just saw reference to the following thread on the debian-user list, and
18 it includes a couple of responses from you (and an insult hurled at you
19 from Lennart)... and I'm a bit worried that gentoo will be forced to
20 swallow the systemd koolaid sometime maybe even sooner rather than later
21 if Lennart succeeds in making udev work only with systemd, as he makes
22 clear his desire to do just that here:
23
24 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019664.html
25
26 Notably:
27
28 Lennart said:
29 >>> Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus
30 >>> as transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace
31 >>> netlink-based tranport udev used so far. Unless the
32 >>> systemd-haters prepare another kdbus userspace until then this
33 >>> will effectively also mean that we will not support non-systemd
34 >>> systems with udev anymore starting at that point. Gentoo folks,
35 >>> this is your wakeup call.
36
37 Samuli replied:
38 >> I've already set minimum kernel required to 2.6.39 in >= 213, and
39 >> I'd be fine setting it even higher. Talking only of the udev bit
40 >> here. I don't like dropping support for old versions, but if that's
41 >> what has to be done, I'll go with that. Please, don't use this as
42 >> an excuse to drop support for MinimalBuilds as described in wiki in
43 >> some manner. As in, if it's still possible to use some kernel, like
44 >> kernel with kdbus, and even if it requires an userspace library
45 >> like 'libsystemd-something' to go with it, and still get a udev one
46 >> way or another, that can run standalone, we are all good.
47
48 Lennart responded:
49 > You need the userspace code to set up the bus and its policy and
50 > handle activation. That's not a trivial task. For us, that's what
51 > sytemd does in PID 1. You'd need to come up with an alternative for
52 > that.
53
54 Samuli said:
55 >> I'd really hate to be forced to fork (or carry huge patchset)
56 >> unnecessarily (I'm not a systemd hater, I'm not a eudev lover, I'm
57 >> simply working on what is provided to me by *you*, udev upstream)
58
59 Lennart replied:
60 > Oh god. You know, if you come me like this as blame me that I would
61 > "force" you to do something, then you just piss me off and make me
62 > ignore you.
63 >
64 > Anyway, as soon as kdbus is merged this i how we will maintain udev,
65 > you have ample time to figure out some solution that works for you,
66 > but we will not support the udev-on-netlink case anymore. I see three
68 > that much, but love udev so much, then implement an alternative
69 > userspace for kdbus to do initialiuzation/policy/activation.
70 >
71 > Also note that this will not be a change that is just internal
72 > between udev and libudev. We expect that clients will soonishly just
73 > start doing normal bus calls to the new udev, like they'd do them to
74 > any other system service instead of using libudev.