From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:09:22
1 On 25/09/14 22:03, James wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen <at> gentoo.org> writes:
5 >>> Any other caveats (short term) on switching udev to eudev?
6 >> in fact, from what I last checked, eudev's networking is at same level
7 >> with udev-208, from time before the .link support at all
8 > ah, back when ethernet defaulted to eth0 not "enp5s0" ?
9
10 nope, 208 was back when 80-net-name-slot.rules predictable rules were
11 used which
12 ignored kernel metadata for predictable networking
13 i.e. the insufficient implementatition, which got replaced by
14 99-default.link and 80-net-link-setup.rules
15 what you are referring is the buggy pre-udev-197 networking, which you
16 can unfortunately
17 still get with USE="rule-generator", it will keep renaming your
18 interfaces despite kernel
19 telling not to, so kernel drivers that mark eth0 as stable, might get
20 renamed to eg. eth1
21 if you have 2 cards
22 it's really messy, only 209 (and higher) handles things right, the new
23 .link setup, with kernel naming support
27 >> eudev is really useful only for sys-libs/musl users at this time, but
28 >> you are free to experiment with it!
29 > so lilblue (Anthony's amd64 hardened gentoo) is the only candidate I can
30 > think of with musl? So I choose this, then profile must be set to:
31 >
32 > (eslect profile list):
33 > [16] hardened/linux/musl/amd64
36 > I'd be better of with a fresh install of lilblue + musl + eudev
37 > is what you are really saying here?
42 that's the only usecase for eudev currently, yes, otherwise you have no
43 reason to switch