From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 02:12:08
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 06/21/2010 03:37 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't use initrd and not sure why most people need one...
5 >
6 > Good point, and I'd like to know why, too. AFAIK the major use of initrd
7 > is on installation CD's, where the maker of the install disk has no
8 > way of
9 > knowing in advance what hardware/filesystems the "installee" is using,
10 > and
11 > thus must be ready for any surprise.
12 >
13 > If this point of view is misguided or incomplete, please hit me with the
14 > cluestick, asap :)
15 >
16 > (BTW, hal is never off-topic for Dale. Don't ask why, it's ancient
17 > history
18 > now, just like hal. I don't think Dale is ancient history, though, quite
19 > yet, well, almost ;)
23 It used to be that if you used lvm or something, you needed a initrd.
24 I'm not sure that is the case now. I think I read somewhere that you
25 can use lvm and not use initrd since there is something in the kernel
26 for that now. I have not seen that in the kernel tho so I may have been
27 confusing that with something else. It does happen sometimes. Me being
28 confused that is. lol
29
30 Thing about genkernel, when a person needs help with a kernel issue, it
31 limits the number of people that can help with the problem. Most people
32 on here can help with kernel issues if the user compiled their own.
33 With genkernel, you don't really know what you are getting. I have even
34 read where people used genkernel and got two different kernels on the
35 same machine. They should be pretty much the same since the hardware is
36 the same. Heck, I rarely change anything when I run make oldconfig. It
37 is more of saying no to stuff I don't have than yes.
38
39 Hal is much like anything else, it "just works" for most people but
40 others have "issues". I had serious issues with hal. It seemed nothing
41 I did would get it to work. Funny thing is, it works with everything
42 except xorg. Hal works great and always has for everything else. That
43 is one reason I have also told folks doing a fresh install to try it
44 with hal. It works with most people and if it doesn't, everyone knows
45 how to get rid of it. You can't exactly get rid of a kernel now can
46 we? ;-)
47
48 Dale
49