From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:05:25
1 On 06/21/2010 03:37 PM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I don't use initrd and not sure why most people need one...
4
5 Good point, and I'd like to know why, too. AFAIK the major use of initrd
6 is on installation CD's, where the maker of the install disk has no way of
7 knowing in advance what hardware/filesystems the "installee" is using, and
8 thus must be ready for any surprise.
9
10 If this point of view is misguided or incomplete, please hit me with the
11 cluestick, asap :)
12
13 (BTW, hal is never off-topic for Dale. Don't ask why, it's ancient history
14 now, just like hal. I don't think Dale is ancient history, though, quite
15 yet, well, almost ;)